- I have to…
- I should…
- I must…
and how does that make you feel?
Wouldn’t you rather feel light than heavy?
Then look at your obligations with a different attitude.
- feeding your cat/dog/kids/or any living creature who depends upon you for food.
- showing up at your job so you can earn a living.
- being on time.
- honoring your word/your contract/your promise-even when it’s incredibly inconvenient.
These are obvious obligations, right? You’re OBLIGATED to do these things, aren’t you? If you don’t do these things you could be irresponsible, heartless, out-of-integrity.
“Obligation” is a heavy duty word. By it’s very nature it restrains, binds, and requires obedience.
Energetically, “obligation” depletes.
strike “obligation” and insert “choice”.
You’ve got free will. All of it is a choice. So even if it’s an effort, when you choose to be loving, responsible, and honorable you are also choosing to not be forced, to not be a victim.
Re-frame obligations into conscious choices. Then your obligations become more opportunities to feel good about the service you are providing.
You can let go of “must” and “have to” and replace them with “can” and “get to.”
- I get to care for my loved ones’ well-being.
- I can go to work and I get to earn the money I need and want.
- I can show my respect for my friends by showing up on time.
- I get to strengthen my integrity and self-respect by doing what I say I will do when I say I will do it.
You can feel the energy difference when you choose the empowering words.
We are always at choice. And by our choice we direct our energy. There’s a lot of power in choice!
Can you think of an “obligation” you can relabel as a “choice?”